This was the most exciting package I’ve ordered in a while. I’ve never bought anything from Tarte before, but they’ve always been high on my list of brands to try. Their site is fantastic, and they’ve just added some serious wishlist items that will go on many a Christmas list (I apologise if my use of the C word offends anyone).
A few things to get out of the way for Irish customers:
- Yes, they do deliver to Ireland. Shipping is free on orders over €71 (although this often fluctuates by a Euro or two for some reason).
- Sales tax of 20% is applied at checkout.
- I ordered mine on the 5th of September, and it arrived almost 2 weeks later on the 18th.
Tarte often have discount codes on their site. If you register for an account with them they’ll send you one anyway, especially if you’ve added some items to your basket. I wouldn’t have been able to get so much had it not been for the 20% discount code they gave me. I saved around €30. Score.
However, it’s not all good news. Before I get into the items themselves, I need to get this out of the way: I am missing an item from my order. I did email them but as there’s a substantial time difference, and they’re a major cosmetics company, I doubt I’ll hear back too soon. I will update on social media when I do hear back, though.
I initially intended to just briefly run through everything I got, but I accidentally played with it all so I can give you a bit more detail now. It probably goes without saying once you see the pictures, but I love the packaging. Everything looks decent and worth the price.
This is currently on sale for €32 down from €42. I bought this to help me branch out colour-wise. Also, I’m human and the adorable packaging certainly helped their case. This palette consists of 9 shimmer shadows, one matte shadow, and a highlighter in the centre. It also has a huge mirror that I know I will reach for a lot.
Some of the shades applied better with just a finger, while others needed a damp flat brush. A couple even applied well using either (Trance will blow your mind). The matte shade is…fine. It’s just a neutral, cool-toned matte shadow. I like that they put it in there to provide a base for the shimmers but let’s be real here, I bought the palette for the shimmers.
The highlighter (Believe) was a letdown. It’s almost white with a pink sheen, and leaves a trace of glitter in its wake. It’s a bit too powdery for me, but I think it would suit a cooler skin tone better than mine anyway. I will likely use it as an eyeshadow.
Overall, I think it’s a beautiful and versatile palette. Good quality shimmers are such an easy way to add colour to your eye look.
This has been on my wishlist since it came out, and it does not disappoint. All these shadows deliver. Plus, another palette with a great mirror! I’ll never get tired of it.
I found these shadows work best like most other shimmers: with a damp flat brush, gently packed onto the eyelid. I love the warmth of them, perfect for this time of year. If you like rose, gold, rose gold, you will really like this palette. I’m not sure if the picture even does them justice (or my swatching skills for that matter).
The matte brown (Go For It) is exceptionally pigmented so only requires the lightest of hands. You are probably looking at it above thinking, eh no it looks bad. Swatches give you a very general representation of the shadows, they can rarely tell you anything about application. I can though, it is an opaque shadow.
I don’t think I’ll get much wear out of Hustle, but if you want an almost black glittery shadow, this is your man. It’s just not my thing. A lot of extremely dark shadows can apply patchy but trust me, the dark shadows in this palette will not let you down. Ambitious, the light matte shade, is a bit powdery (as a lot of pale matte shadows can be), but still works very well as an eye base, or a brow bone or inner corner highlight. I can see myself hitting pan on This Is It and Happening.
This is my favourite out of the lot. It’s on sale right now for €15 down from €28, which is a ridiculously good bargain.
The set is divided into 3 items:
- Tartelette Tease Clay Palette -This is a babby’s babby palette, but don’t be put off! The mattes are so pigmented, you need a very light hand applying them. They blend like a dream on the eye (even on my 800 year old lids), and work well with each other. There’s a bit more fallout with the lighter shades (swatches of which were really difficult to photograph), but nothing unmanageable. The shimmer shade is easily applied with either your finger or a damp flat brush, the payoff is the same (and impressive). It’s got a mirror as well which we all know makes a palette instantly better. For real though, these shadows are amazing. I wanted everyday mattes and these delivered.
- Tarteist Lash Paint Mascara – Once you get past the weird applicator, you’ll find this mascara to be extremely effective. It lengthens and separates, and has a dryer formula so no clumps. It’s a bit awkward to close but it’s a great mascara, so that’s not a big deal for me. I’ll be looking into getting a full-sized version once this one runs out.
- Tarteist Creamy Matte Lip Paint (FOMO) – Ordinarily, the words ‘matte’ and ‘paint’ used in the title of a lip product would make my skin crawl, but this is extremely comfortable. It dries down matte but never makes your lips look or feel parched. I didn’t think I’d have any interest in this lip pain whatsoever, but now I’m glad I have it. I like the pinkish mauve colour, too.
This is a really practical, wearable set, and you could fit the three items in your bag easily without being weighed down. An absolute steal for the price.
I couldn’t order from Tarte without getting something skincare-related. I liked the look of this set, which includes:
- Drink of H2O Hydrating Boost Moisturiser – this is a light, refreshing gel-based moisturiser which you really can’t go wrong with. Hydrated skin is particularly important as edge closer to Winter.
- Quench Lip Rescue (Shell) – I love this so much. I’m the type of person who has to have a lip balm on them at all times. This smells great, hydrates the heck out of your lips and leaves a nice tinted sheen.
- Rainforest of the Sea 4-in-1 Setting Mist – I’m a sucker for setting mists and any sort of face spray really. I’ve only used it once so far so I can hardly be conclusive, but so far so good.
- Maracuja Oil – I’ve heard so many things about this oil, it seems to be a firm favourite for Tarte fans. I’m looking forward to seeing how effective it is.
Another sale item. These are teeny but I’ve never managed to hit pan on a bronzer or highlighter anyway.
- The bronzer (Hotel Heiress) is pigmented (this is becoming a running theme with Tarte products clearly). You only need a teeny bit, as I learned the hard way. It’s matte which is great, but also means you could use it for contour if you preferred a warmer contour. If you are extremely fair, this will be a bit too dark.
- The highlighter ( is champagne shade with no glitter (my favourite kind). It’s buildable, so you could go from barely there to overkill if you wanted. I’ve dabbed this on my eyelids and inner corners too and it looks pretty cool if I do say so myself.
Do not be put off my how itsy bitsy these are, they’re small but mighty and incredible value for €11.
I know, it probably got boring me raving about everything. I can’t help it. I may have found my new favourite brand. I really cannot recommend more that you try Tarte for yourself, especially the eyeshadows. If like me, you’re
bad at applying eyeshadow not an eyeshadow genius, the shadows will be your best friend. They’re just so easy to use and blend. Tarte have some highly rated matte eyeshadow palettes too if you’re not into shimmers.
If you’d love to try Tarte, but aren’t sure you want to commit financially just yet, remember that there’s always QVC! Before you laugh bitterly, they allow returns on makeup items so if you don’t like it, you can send it back.
Oof that felt like I was writing my thesis. Hopefully this has given you some insight into my new obsession, and fingers crossed my missing item appears soon.
UPDATE: I’m being refunded and getting a 30% discount on my next purchase. I feel like that’s worked out quite well for me.